Broken Vessels–a New Beginning

In Broken Vessels

Welcome to my new blog feature, “Broken Vessels,” a place to share about spiritual brokenness from several different points of view and pointing to the One who can fix the brokenness–Jesus Christ.

256px-Broken_glass (1)

“Broken vessels” were the words that came to my mind over and over this past summer. Is that You, Lord? I pondered. There have been so many times over the last few years when I have felt utterly broken. I thought I had obeyed God in the way He had directed my days and yet, many of my dreams have crumbled. I look at my    past—wondering what mistakes I’ve made. How have I let the Lord and others down?

While I can hopefully learn from my past mistakes, dwelling on them pulls me backward. In God’s word in Philippians 3:13-14 Paul tells us, “but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”

He wants me to look forward to the path He has laid out for me, not back to the crumbling building of what I thought I built for Him. My heart has been broken over and over again, but He is close to the brokenhearted. In fact, He binds up the wounded. This made me think of “Broken vessels . . . mended by God.”

Jesus takes sinful pasts and cleanses our hearts. He takes disappointment and makes something better from it. He takes our shattered dreams and gives us new ones. I kept picturing an ancient jar, poured out and cracked. Then I came across bowls and other pottery, which had been broken and mended together with gold-laced epoxy by a Japanese method called Kintsugi or “gold rejoinery.” This was considered a way to not only to fix the broken vessel, but also to make it more beautiful and stronger.

Tea_bowl_fixed_in_the_Kintsugi_method

As I researched this method, I found that people have molded an entire life philosophy of repairing the difficult areas of their lives—making lemonade from lemons or finding the silver lining to the cloud, proverbally speaking. But I keep thinking that only the Master Potter, the one who created and originally molded the vessel can truly repair it with refined gold.

Indeed, God refines us through the trials and suffering He has allowed, even ordained in our lives. The question is, are we willing to be strengthened by these trials, to become better instead of bitter? To let the beauty shine through the cracks in our lives? He desires to make something even more lovely out of each of His children.

How has the Lord made you more beautiful through trials?

TWEET AND SHARE: Are you #broken? Who can fix it? Broken Vessels – a new feature on my blog. #devotions #Scripture

Recent Posts
Showing 14 comments
  • janetgrunst

Lovely post, Kathy.
    I’ve experienced brokenness many times, which is always hard, but I would not trade how God has revealed Himself at those times for anything.

• kerouser@gmail.com

Thanks. I agree, Janet. I can think of several circumstances I wouldn’t want to repeat,
      but the Lord has brought good things out of each. And He keeps us closer to
      Himself that way as well.

• linda glaz

Love it. Great post.

• kerouser@gmail.com

Glad you enjoyed it, Linda. Thanks!

• Karen Wingate

As I read, Gloria Gaither’s song “Something Beautiful” is running through my head. Thoughtful post, Kathy. My brokeness has helped me truly grasp the grace of Jesus Christ. By Him, I am set free!

• kerouser@gmail.com

Amen, Karen! Jesus changes everything, more so when we let Him, and the humility
      that comes with brokenness definitely makes a difference.

• Elaine Stock

Kathy, this is a beautiful post. I’m glad you began this much needed blog feature. It spoke to me today as I face trials even during one of the more upbeat times of my life. And that’s why I’m thinking others will also appreciate it. I look forward to seeing more inspiring posts.

• kerouser@gmail.com

Thank you so much, Elaine. I’m very happy this post ministered to you
      and appreciate your feedback.

• Susan Phillips

This is lovely to consider that the very things that break us can make us stronger. Thank you!

• kerouser@gmail.com

Susan, so nice to see you here. I really appreciate your thoughtful comment.

• Brenda McGraw

Great to have you link up with us over on #AskGodToday. Look forward to reading more of your posts. Blessings always, Brenda

• kerouser@gmail.com

Brenda, thank you for opening up your website to allow
      others to link up to yours. It is a blessing. So glad
      you took the time to read my post.

• Anastacia Maness

I enjoyed your post, Kathy. It’s so good to know that God can take our broken pieces and put us back together stronger and more beautiful than before.

I’m visiting from Ask God Today Ministries’ Warm Hearted Wednesday link up. Thanks for sharing!

• kerouser@gmail.com

Anastacia, I appreciate your taking the time to stop by and read my blog
      post on the power of God to mend us. Glad you enjoyed it and that you
      found me through the link up!